SHIH TZU 4U

A Blog For All Things Shih Tzu

Can A Shih Tzu Eat Mushrooms?

Yes and no! Not all mushrooms are safe for dogs to eat so if you do decide to feed your Shih Tzu mushrooms you have to be absolutely certain they are safe as some mushrooms can be toxic and potentially fatal to dogs if consumed.

 

Personally, I would not take the risk and never allow my dog to eat any kind of mushroom.

 

It is important to only feed dogs mushrooms that have been specifically grown for consumption, and to avoid wild mushrooms, as many of these can be toxic.

 

If you are unsure about a mushroom, it is best to consult with a veterinarian before feeding it to your dog. It is also important to note that even if a mushroom is safe for humans to eat, it may not be safe for dogs to consume, as dogs have different nutritional needs and can have different reactions to certain foods.

 

IMPORTANT – Always consult your vet if you are going to add new human foods to your Shih Tzu’s diet.

Article Contents

Potential Dangers Of Feeding Your Shih Tzu Mushrooms?

Eating toxic mushrooms can cause a wide range of symptoms in dogs, including gastrointestinal upset, neurological disorders, and in severe cases, liver or kidney failure.

 

Symptoms of mushroom toxicity can include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of coordination, confusion, and even coma. In some cases, the symptoms may not appear for several days after ingestion, making it difficult to link them to mushroom consumption.

 

If you suspect your Shih Tzu has consumed a toxic mushroom, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately, as treatment is most effective when given in the early stages of poisoning.

For more information about what foods in general are healthy for your Shih Tzu, you might like to read our article: Shih Tzu Food List

dangerous food for dogs chart
mushrooms on table

What Wild Mushrooms Are Toxic For Dogs?

Many wild mushrooms are nontoxic but, unfortunately, some varieties are toxic and can make your Shih Tzu very sick.

 

For example, Amanita phalloides, or the “Death Cap” mushroom, is one of the most dangerous, causing liver damage and even death if ingested.

 

Another variety is Galerina marginata which is also very poisonous; it produces a substance known as amatoxin that causes severe abdominal pain as well as gastrointestinal bleeding if ingested.

wild mushroom in a field

Fortunately for dog owners, there are several ways to identify toxic mushrooms such as size, shape, gills under the cap, and spores underneath.

 

If you find any unusual fungi in your yard or garden and have a pet dog at home, it’s best to remove them quickly and contact your veterinarian to be on the safe side.

 

Below is a comprehensive list of different types of mushrooms that are toxic for dogs:

Liver Toxicity

Hallucinogenic

Toadstools

Containing Muscarinic Agents

False Morel Mushrooms

That Cause Gastrointestinal Distress

What Should You Do If Your Shih Tzu Eats Mushrooms?

IMPORTANT – If you suspect that your dog has eaten mushrooms, it is important to take immediate action to ensure their safety.

 

Here are some steps you should take:

 

It’s important to note that time is of the essence, the earlier the treatment the better the chances of recovery.

 

Treating Mushroom Poisoning

 

Treating mushroom poisoning in dogs can be a difficult and delicate process, as symptoms and severity can manifest inconsistently.

 

Veterinary assistance is the most important step; identifying the type of mushroom is necessary to determine the correct course of treatment.

 

Depending on the type of toxin ingested, various supportive treatments may be necessary, such as activated charcoal for GI absorption, intravenous fluids to support hydration and organ function, medications to address shock or seizures, antibiotics for secondary bacterial infections, and blood transfusions as needed.

 

Natural remedies are also helpful for alleviating some symptomatic distress – these include aloe vera and ginger for gastrointestinal issues and turmeric for antioxidant benefits.

 

If medical interventions are administered early and aggressively enough, it is possible for a full recovery.

Summary

Feeding your Shih Tzu mushrooms can be dangerous as some can be extremely toxic to them.

 

Symptoms of toxicity can include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, loss of coordination, confusion, and even coma.

 

In some cases, the symptoms may not appear for several days after ingestion, making it difficult to link them to mushroom consumption.

 

If you suspect your dog has consumed a toxic mushroom, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately, as treatment is most effective when given in the early stages of poisoning.

 

It is important to only feed dogs mushrooms that have been specifically grown for consumption and to avoid wild mushrooms.

Further Reading

If you would like to dig deeper into all areas of caring for your Shih Tzu we recommend you check out the book bellow.

shih tzu complete guide book cover

Using interviews with 17 top Shih Tzu breeders, author and experienced Shih Tzu owner Molly Weinfurter has created an in-depth look at what it takes to successfully live with, raise, and train a Shih Tzu.

 

This book has a 4.5 out of 5 rating on Amazon with over 220 reviews.

Amazon Affiliate Disclaimer

As well as being a blog and resource website on all things Shih Tzu, this site also contains links from the Amazon Associate Program – offering you the best Shih Tzu related products from Amazon.