Your Shih Tzu should not eat grapes or raisin (dried grapes) under any circumstances!
Grapes and raisins are highly toxic foods for a dog. |t’s yet to be determined scientifically what it is in a grape that causes them harm but we know for sure they are highly toxic and should never be fed to your Shih Tzu under any circumstances. All types should be avoided whether they are seedless, peeled, or in any form whatsoever.
The age and gender of your Shih Tzu are also irrelevant and so has no effect on the risk from eating them – even in small amounts.
The most serious reason that grapes are bad for your dog is the possibility of severe kidney damage. Kidney damage can then lead to sudden kidney failure and even death. Although eating grapes is very serious for your dog, it should be noted that it does not severely affect all dogs. Why some dogs are affected and others are not is still not understood.
For a real-life example of how serious it can be to feed your Shih Tzu grapes, you can read Leah’s story here from the ASPCA website.
What Should You Do If Your Shih Tzu Has Eaten Grapes?
If you dog has eaten any amount of grapes then you should call your vet immediately. Please see the section below to see the symptoms that may develop and the necessary treatment.
Symptoms Of Eating Grapes For Your Shih Tzu
If your Shih Tzu eats grapes then they are likely to develop one or a mix of the symptoms below. Different dogs will react differently to eating grapes so some dogs may have a mild reaction with a certain symptom while another dog may have a severe reaction.
Please read the list below so you are aware of the risks of your Shih Tzu eating grapes.
- Weakness and lethargy.
- Reduced appetite.
- Tenderness in the abdomen.
- Cessation of urine.
- Mouth Ulcers.
- Bad Breath.
As you can see the symptoms can be very serious so if your Shih Tzu eats any amount of grapes you should call your veterinarian immediately.
It should be noted that any of the above symptoms could be caused by other unrelated issues or illnesses so if your dog is experiencing anything from the list above you must always call your vet immediately, even you are not sure if they have eaten any grapes or not.
If your Shih Tzu has eaten any amount of grapes or raisins then they will need immediate treatment whether at home or at the vets. If not treated quickly, ingesting grapes can cause kidney failure and death in dogs.
You should call your vet immediately and they may suggest that you try to induce vomiting. Listen to your vet’s instructions carefully and try your best to do exactly what they say.
If you are advised to induce vomiting you can try the method below if you have the necessary equipment at home:
- If your dog has not had anything to eat in the previous two hours then try to feed him a small meal. This will increase the chances of getting your Shih Tzu to be sick.
- Using a syringe, chicken baster, or teaspoon, measure 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per pound of your Shih Tzu’s weight (a teaspoon is about 5ml).
- Open your dog’s mouth and squirt the liquid into the back of their throat.
If your dog does not vomit after 15 minutes then you can try again but do not try more than twice. This method may be difficult and uncomfortable for you and your dog but if it has been recommended by your vet, you have to try your best as it’s in your dog’s best interest.
If you found this article useful you might also be interested in reading our other articles about feeding your Shih Tzu fruit. Although grapes are highly toxic for dogs there are many other fruits that are perfectly safe and healthy for your Shih Tzu to eat.
Below is a list of articles you might like to read: